Saturday, March 3, 2012

Those Jumbled Up Words

The past year had been a major change on my music taste. Back then the songs that I loathe the most were lovey dovey themed songs, over these songs I'd prefer song with a darker feel, the heart breaker theme LOL. No wonder where all the gloom flowed from eh. Well, other than that, I've always prefer songs with a fast beat, the type that would've made you unconsciously start taping your fingers or your heels to the  rhythm. As much as I love music and songs, I have the problems where as I understand not a thing of music. Ask me anything from tempo, note, scale, to interval and I guarantee you that I'll be replying with a blank expression. LOL.

Blessid Union of Souls
The decision on whether or not some music will be able to get trough to me is left to my ear, duh. But, mostly my eyes helps on the decision too and no, I don't mean the visuals. My eyes helps me in discerning the lyrics, breaking down the lights particle that scatters all over the place and recomposed it this petty brain of mine. I was a sucker for songs with deep lyrics, thus was the reasons on why mostly my favorite songs were ballads. And on the mention of ballads (or what I assume is ballads) the name Blessid Union of Souls always pops in my head. But we're not going to talk about them here :P

Even if my ear hold a vote in deciding, mostly my eyes would won on the vote if the lyrics were not up to my taste. The case for example would be the song The Boys sung by 소녀 세대. To date they've released the songs in three versions Korea; America and Japan.  The arrangement of the songs (I'm not sure whether I'm using the right term, bear with me) were the same, the difference was mainly on the language used and the lyrics that were rewritten to fit more to the segmented market. I haven't really listen to the Japanese version so I'll refrain from commenting, instead I'm just going to briefly highlight the Korea VS America version lyric. The Korea version were mostly on how they should be strong, a song on encouraging people, while the latter were more on them as being 소녀 세대.The latter was not actually bad, but for me the former was better.

Ok, getting back to the main point, I tend to stray often, forgive me. On the change of music taste, I wasn't referring to a condition where I stopped liking ballads and heart breaker songs and converted to the lovey dovey songs. What I was referring too was giving my ears more voting power to at least be on par with my eyes LOL. A year ago I was so bored with the music industry to date, most of the songs released were not compatible to my ears and eyes. When most were being hip with Lady Gaga's songs, and all the singers. I was lost on my own. Their songs weren't bad, it was just a matter of different tones were needed to cater to my ears and eyes.

The Hallyu wave were rampant here, with all the K-Drama mostly showing up on TV channels prime time, I'm not sure whether their songs have infiltrated back then since I seldom watch TV anymore to date. It was mostly to those who were exposed to it somehow that brought the songs here. Other than Jang Na Ra and My Sassy Girl OST, I hardly know any songs back then. Truth to be told, I was fonder to Japanese Pop. I've barely given myself a chance to listen to them. But trough the decline of the western music industry and my upswings, I said to myself that I've got nothing to loose there.

Back then my moods were at its lowest. If I decided to listen to music, I have the tendency to pick the mellowest songs in my archives to feed my melancholic state. It was depressing, and slowly it was taking it's toll on me. I knew I had to stop, but at the same time, I was rather dependent on music to fill my time on my way too and back from the office. The trip took an hour back and forth, and not having music to take my mind off was an annoyance. With that condition in mind and my music stock, somehow I recalled this one Korea song. A colleague of mine used to play the song over and over again, and I was so annoyed that I scolded her.

Lessang
To put it in simple terms, I started googling it, watch it on Youtube and fallen for it. The song had a nice tune, a cheerful feeling to it, and an upbeat tempo the problem was I understand not the lyrics LOL. But for the better part, it was what I needed. Instead of over thinking the lyrics and being swept by it. I just enjoyed it. Over the time, I let my ears handle it, and reserve my eyes judgment upon it. Getting accustomed to it was fun, concentrating on the songs, it actually helps better with my mood. It went a long way. From  소녀 세대, Kim Jong Kook, to Lessang, I started to enjoy music more, and If my ears really approve of certain songs, I'd go and look up the lyrics and meanings behind them.

I'm into K-pop now and it's not because of the visuals that people were quick to judge me on, but on how it helps me to disregard the mood swings that were flooding me. If you search the definition of the lyrics, indeed some of them were just some cute songs, but more of them were songs with deep music. Check out Kim Jong Kook's One Man, or Leessang's You're The Answer for A Guy Like Me for simple examples. But most importantly, I learned to accept a song more, not only because of the lyrics, but the song as a whole.



No comments:

Post a Comment